Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Of Wings & Risk Aversion


I am not risk averse — much. Gingerly, a bit tense, edging out on that limb while being aware of the creaking branches. The uncertainty, the fear, washes over me until I get out there. Then I am in awe of the panoramic view of possibility. 

Maybe I just sit on that limb breathing in the fresh air, taking in the newness of the view. As I acclimate to the possibilities, I key into those intuitive whispers gently caressing my being. Those inner voices — no I am not hearing things — help me navigate into the new.


In the gentle sway of the branches, I weigh action versus inertia, but mostly I just listen to my intuition. I am alert to that itch in my back that might just be the sprouting of my wings. The unfurling I feel is a gentle nudge to take flight into risk.


Risk’s companion, change, is out on that limb with me. Change doesn’t happen without a certain degree of risk. To risk is to be willing to try something new, to choose a different path, to dig deep into who we are. As we engage in risk we shine from the depth of who we are.


How do we do this? 

    • Begin with self honesty. Courageous action seldom happens without an acknowledgement of fear. Identify your concerns, your perceived limitations, what is stopping you from sprouting wings and leaping into risk.
    • Be gentle with yourself. Identify your comfort zone. Then take one small step outside that space. Maybe you metaphorically cling to the tree trunk of stability while leaning out on the limb. How else can you take in the beautiful vista of your life?
    • Ask: what action do I view as risky? Can I take a step into that action in this moment? Then, stepping just outside your comfort zone, do it! Take action. Maybe you choose to write a letter, reach out to a stranger, apply for a job. Know that whatever you choose to do that there is no harm, no foul. There is only your decision in the moment.
    • After your action, re-access the risk. Go through the process again to decide your next steps. It is perfectly okay to shift, to make different decisions, as you transform.


Life is to be lived. Like a squirrel, we find stability on the ground, scurry up the trunk of a tree, and leap from limb to limb. Within each action is that itch that heralds the sprouting of your wings. And, within each moment is opportunity to unfurl your wings and leap into risk. 




Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is an intuitive-coach-catalyst. As a contemplative coach, she uses mindfulness practices and intuition tools to create strategies for navigating those scary places. The result? Creating a blue print for your life through a deeper connection to your intuition. She is a professional speaker & author who weaves inner wisdom into all she touches. Her books are available @ www.wildefyrpress.com. Her most recent book, As Natural As Breathing: Being Intuitive, is available on Amazon. Contact Vanessa for life coaching, intuitive consultations, keynotes, and programs.

Website / LinkedIn Profile / Facebook / @fyrserpent 

©2021

No comments:

Post a Comment