Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Taking a Detour on the Road of Where You Are Going

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. These words of Thomas Merton resonate within me now more than ever. So much uncertainty in the past six months. What will the last half of 2020 hold for me, for you, for all of us? I think that we can all say, “I have no idea where I am going.” Because, really, what is next in this storm of uncertainty?

Taking steps into the dark while groping to find balance are scary. Our next step may be off a figurative ledge or tripping up a steep incline. The uncertainty is not going to go away, so we need to own our fear. Until we do, we stand paralyzed in the moment. To break free of our fear means to take chance after chance after chance until our eyes grow accustomed to the light that shines from within. That light, our divine spark, connects us to the sacred voice that leads us through the unknowing into soul purpose.

We do not have to know where we are going on this journey. All that is needed is a loose plan as we move step-by-step on this pathway of life. When we focus in the moment, we hear the whispers of our intuition. Responding to our intuition, we become the power that propels us down an uncertain path with surety. That power is fed by our courage, sustained by our humility, and manifested by our hope. This power wakes us to the realization that our life has meaning. We understand that we live with purpose for we have no choice but to be our true self.

I am amazed at the number of plans I have developed only to see them take a detour down a windy, muddy path. I have said, “I’ve never seen a detour I didn’t take.” But, those detours didn’t take me anywhere I didn’t need to be. The ultimate reframe: these paths are not detours but side roads overgrown with challenges and life lessons. On those paths I learned so much about myself and grew into the person that I am. I hope that you have found the same on your detours.

Do we know where we are going? Probably not. This unknowing opens us to the possibility of what might be. For within the uncertainty we find limitless potential and unwavering possibility. The uncertainty calls us to be curious and act with daring in our approach to life. Because, isn’t that what life is truly about? We are called to be curious, courageous, and daring as we experience life through the heights of joy and the depths of agony. 

So, how do we step down this path of uncertainty?
    • Through mindfulness. What is your mindfulness practice? How aware does it make you of the opportunities in your life?
    • Through self-compassion. How are you practicing self care in each moment? How do you forgive yourself for perceived missteps and detours along the way?
    • Through response flexibility. How willing are you to change plans? What one thing can you do in this moment to be more flexible?
The answers to these questions may not create a path without detours. It takes us exactly where we need to be as we awaken to the necessity and potential of detours. Through these questions’ answers, we create a rich life full of challenges met and lessons learned and soul purpose realized.  

Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is an Intuitive, Coach, Catalyst, who uses mindfulness practices and intuition tools to create strategies for personal and relationship transformation. She is a professional speaker & author who weaves inner wisdom into all she touches. Her books are available @ www.wildefyrpress.com. Contact Vanessa  (vanessa@intentandaction.com) for life coaching, intuitive consultations, keynotes, and programs.

Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2020

No comments:

Post a Comment