Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Shenpa & A Tale of Self Compassion

One day I got tired of the NPR news on my car radio, I flipped to my synced phone. Instead of choosing a playlist, I listened to the random song that played. Since that time, listening to the few random songs that queue has become part of my mindfulness routine. 

Curious, I wondered what message the song had for me. No matter what song they often create planks that bridge what I am currently experiencing to hope and belief in a better day.

The song that last slipped into the queue was Leaves Don’t Drop They Just let Go by Carrie Newcomer. The song reminded me of the Buddhist concept of shenpa or the things that hook us. I immediately began to wonder what shenpa had me so ensnared that I was unable to let go. What clouded my mind so that instead of seeing what truly is, I was trapped in illusion.

Through these ponderings, I reminded myself to breathe. When that grappling hook of shenpa catches me, it is near impossible to focus on anything other than the hook. Instead of fearing the hook, shenpa asks that we breath through our acknowledged fear. With courage, we identify and examine the small and big ways that we get caught. 

We need even more courage to identify what continues to hook us while not blaming the hook for our experience. During that reflection time about shenpa, I realized that it isn’t the grappling hooks that are the problem. No, the issue is those well worn areas of our mind, spirit, and heart that the hooks snag. Shenpa is an outward expression of our inner turmoil.

When I am aware, I notice those hooks and am able to feint left or right or maybe take a simple step back. No matter what my mindful movement, the hook falls short unable to embed itself in my mind, spirit, or heart. The good news? It only takes one time of avoiding being caught for our re-patterning to begin. 

When I am aware of how my thoughts and actions deepen the grip of shenpa’s hooks, I have the power to sand those areas that are prone to being caught by grappling hooks. The more I practice not getting caught, the stronger my reframing becomes. I become more resilient as my response flexibility increases. I become the person who doesn’t drop in reaction, I can just let go with response. 

So ask yourself, “How am I being caught?” “What am I attempting to drop instead of just letting go?” These answers give you the awareness to recognize shenpa. Through your awareness you are able to heal a pockmarked spirit that no longer welcomes shenpa. Healed your truth shines from your authentic spirit.  

Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is a life coach using the Neural Synchrony™ process, professional speaker, and author who weaves her inner wisdom into all she touches. Her books are Imperfect in an Uncertain World, A Constellation of Connections: Contemplative Relationships, and Engaging Compassion Through Intent & Action. Vanessa intuitively assists clients in navigating their life paths. Contact Vanessa @ vanessa@intentandaction.com for keynotes, programs, and consultations. 
Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2019

No comments:

Post a Comment