Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Never Doubt: You Make A Difference

Have you ever wondered if your life is just a series of moments in which you move through life from one task to another? Or, have you known in the marrow of your being that life was more? Have your realized that within each moment lies the potential to knowingly and unknowingly change the life of another? And, in living within the potential of life, you are a change agent.

All of us can name people who have made a difference in our life. One of those people is my fifth grade English teacher. After class one day she asked to speak with me. Mrs. Lueken was confused by my English class placement. Although I had always been in advanced classes, I started the year in remedial classes. She was convinced that the placement was wrong and that I would shine in advanced classes. I was placed in all of the advanced classes. She was right, I thrived in those more challenging classes. 

Within a year, I was testing at twelfth grade levels in most of my subjects. Although I had the potential, it was Mrs. Lueken’s belief in me that helped me realize it. I have never forgotten her support. It made all the difference in the choices I made as I moved from middle school and into high school. I became a voracious learner. 

Several decades after her life altering help, I wrote her a thank you note. At a high school reunion I mentioned how she had helped me and heard stories of her support of others. I am but one of many students that she encouraged over an almost five decade teaching career. To this day, I am forever grateful that she took a stand against my homeroom teacher who was adamant that I belonged in the remedial classes. 

Each of us, whether we realize it or not, has made a difference in the life of another. We may say something seemingly inconsequential only later to discover the impact. I can attest to clients and students who have shared the difference my words have made in their life. And, those are only the ones who have the courage to share my impact on my life. Not only have I made a difference, but their sharing has made a difference to me.  

Seldom do we begin the day thinking this is day I contribute to the radical transformation of the world. We may not even be aware of how the guiding hand of our intuition plays a role in our compassionate actions. But, when we are in the moment, we act in ways that are true to our essence. It is this authenticity resonating with another that opens the gates of transformation for individuals and, ultimately, the world.

As I write this, I am aware of the ultimate acts of compassion that have brought about a tsunami of difference. The three men who stopped the abuse perpetrated by a white supremacist on a commuter train in Portland call us, individually and collectively, to make a difference. Two of those three men, Ricky John Best and Taliesin Namkai-Meche, lost their lives making a difference. Through their actions two girls know how much they matter. The three, including Micah David-Cole Fletcher, made a big difference that spans the globe. 

Each time we stand up for another, we make a difference. In those moments our actions say, “I see you. We are one.” Each act against judgment, hatred, and victimization bring us closer together in a community. We as members of community recognize similarities and celebrate diversity by acting in ways that make a difference.

In a world that is progressively more divisive, more angry, more violent, even the smallest acts bring us together. Our only choice is clear: to peer deeply into the eyes of another and let them know that they do not stand alone. In this eye to eye connection we are less alone, too. 



Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is a Mindful Coach, Compassion Consultant, Professional Speaker, and Author who weaves her inner wisdom into all she touches. Contact Vanessa @ hurst.vanessa@gmail.com

Her books are A Constellation of Connections: Contemplative Relationships and Engaging Compassion Through Intent & Action.

Website / LinkedIn Profile / Facebook / Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2017



No comments:

Post a Comment