Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Free Fall Into Letting Go

I used to wonder what would happen in the free fall of letting go. Would I gain speed as I plunged to the earth only to go kerplunk as I hit the bottom? Maybe I would bounce once or twice on the unforgiving ground. Or, would my wings unfurl and I would set course to the unknown just beyond the horizon? Maybe the hand of the sacred would catch me in its palm. Surrounded by the divine, I would be rejuvenated in its healing presence. 

I had experienced each of these situations in my letting go. Each experience, finding rock bottom, flying, or consciously resting in sacred embrace, all came with a particular life lesson. Perhaps I needed to be shaken up when I went splat onto the floor. But, once there I discovered the ground littered with gems of understanding and possibility. It was in the jar of letting go that opened me to what was to come.

Wings unfurling is a most exciting kind of letting go. Flying high above this mundane world, I gain a new perspective and my life situation looks totally different. I am able to see more clearly what might be when I let go of what I think I want. While this kind of letting go may be exhilarating, I take care of the cross winds that threaten to catch me. Riding the thermals of possibility I fly free into a new me.

Resting in the gentle hand, letting go happens in a safe environment. I have time to be while I calmly take a long, intentional look at my life. I know that I am not alone; that I am surrounded by guidance and assistance. Although the gentle hand of the sacred is with me as I find rock bottom or soar through the sky, I can more strongly feel divine intervention while in the hand. 

Sometimes, no matter how hard I try, I cannot let go of the fear that overwhelms me. I cannot relax my grip and trust as I let go. I might even try to convince myself that I am being held onto. How can I let go if something has me in its embrace? Those moments call me to enter a heightened awareness of being awake, alert, and alive.

Awake is more than just opening your eyes and starting the day. This awake is noticing the world in its moment by moment unfolding. We no longer lose spots of time as our mind wanders. We are totally present and aware of what catching us — aware of the resulting fear, and aware of our need to acknowledge the fear before letting go.

Fully awake, we are alert to the many potential triggers in our life. We notice our tendencies to react and our desire to respond. We identify our fears even when we feel helpless to circumvent them. Simply put, we are ready to connect our intent to our action in each moment. We are mindfully engaged and prepared to respond.

Being awake and alert culminates in being alive. More than breathing, we act with intention. Alive we acknowledge our fears and navigate through them with courage. This navigation is the stuff of letting go. With awareness we learn in the environment that results in our letting go — the environment we discover as we enter our free fall.

Letting go is a scary proposition. it opens us to the great unknown. But, in order to grow, we must be willing to experience this free fall not knowing where we wind up while knowing that we will receive exactly what we need. 


Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is a Mindful Coach, Compassion Consultant, Professional Speaker, and Author who weaves her inner wisdom into all she touches. Contact Vanessa @ hurst.vanessa@gmail.com




Website / LinkedIn Profile / Facebook / Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2017

No comments:

Post a Comment