Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Battle Cry of a Compassion Warrior

Compassion is seldom easy. We are often asked to dive into the depths of anguish and despair as compassion’s emissary. We are called to midwife the transmutation of suffering into joy. As compassion warriors we know at the ground of our being that compassion isn’t meted out as justice or because it is expected. When we act with compassion, this wild, beautiful balm soothes the fray, calms the spirit, and strengthens our bonds of connection.

I love you enough is a simple phrase filled with compassion. But, what is the action that results in this intent of loving enough? Perhaps, we allow a child to make their final decision or we gently guide them to the resolution of an issue. Or, we listen gently and quietly while offering guiding questions instead of judging and blaming. It may be encouraging another to be their best, truest self while forgiving “bad” behavior.

Often times when I get stuck and wrestle with sharing compassion with another, I ask myself, “If someone loved you enough, what response would you hope for?” In answering this question I honestly acknowledge my wounds and unresolved suffering. Through understanding my own suffering, my choice to love enough becomes clearer. While this enough love may be directed outward to another, it also becomes the love enough of myself to heal my festering wounds.

It is more difficult for me to harden my heart against the one who triggered suffering after answering this question. I see a glimmer of their personal suffering in the hurt they triggered. There is a recognition that we all suffer and react from our suffering. This is often enough to shake my self-righteous indignation and anger. Fissures appear, and my compassion seeps from the cracks of my wounds. My suffering is alleviated as my compassion directed toward another boomerangs returning as self-compassion.  I am healed.

My spark of compassion flares. I feel this gentle, loving energy flow through me, filling me, and overflowing into the world. My hands, my heart, my wounds are conduits of compassion. I recognize that I am the vessel. I am a warrior of compassion. Mindfully resting in this understanding, I intuitively know how to share compassion best in the moment.

And, I acknowledge that while certain acts on the surface may not appear compassionate, I am aware that any other actions may intensify or enable future suffering. At times we need to be with someone as they experience the lesson in the suffering. We hold them in our heart as they transmute the poison of their personal suffering. We are witness to their ability to heal their self.

We walk a narrow path as compassion warriors. Our compassionate actions say, “I love you enough to allow you to learn from your suffering. I love you enough to help you understand your suffering as a catalyst for personal transformation. I love you enough to be with you as you heal your wounds. I love you enough to honor your battle. I love you enough.”

Compassion asks that we be fully present in the moment…that we be aware of our motives and agendas and propensities to enable…that we be open, receptive conduits of compassion…that we love enough to be a vessel for the alleviation of suffering. This is the intent of a warrior of compassion.

Take this pledge. Take my hand. Let’s journey together as warrior’s of compassion,

Vanessa

Vanessa F. Hurst is Compassion Consultant at Intent & Action.  She is a Mindful Coach, Compassion Consultant, Professional Speaker, and Author who interweaves her inner wisdom in all she touches. Contact Vanessa



More from Vanessa: www.intentandaction.com

No comments:

Post a Comment