Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Compassion’s Visible Commitment

Soon after the US election, signs of solidarity began to surface. Some of these were large, mostly peaceful gatherings of people while others were smaller but no less visible acts of connection — all were offers to be in relationship. I admit that I was captivated by the suggestion to wear a safety pin.

I remember when I was younger breaking a zipper on a pair of jeans and needing a quick fix. So, I found a safety pin or two to close the gap created by the zipper’s broken teeth. I realized that the safety pin wasn’t a forever fix; it wasn’t a permanent solution to my clothing mishap. But, the safety pin was a quick and relatively simple way to close the gap in the moment.

Flash forward to today. Wearing a safety pin, for me, represents an intentional and tangible ways of closing a gap of separateness and uncertainty while offering compassion and support. So, I bought safety pins — quilter safety pins in honor of my mom who was a quilter.

I believe that my Mom, a women with a big compassionate heart, would have probably worn a safety pin of solidarity and offered a haven for anyone in need. You see, my mom was the manager of an elementary school cafeteria. She had this knack to see past the surface illusions and into the heart of each child. Mom served a smile and a spoon full of compassion with every meal.

So, I wear this simple metal piece positioned just to the left of my heart, near my shoulder. That safety pin is a quiet beacon that people notice. The connection with intimate strangers is more immediate than before. Our conversations are rich as we share our commitment to the meaning of the safety pin. How it provides a tiny point of light in the dark for the wearer. How we hope that light connects with others and provides solace. How this symbol illuminates us and others with fragile rays of compassion.

The safety pin is more that a show of solidarity, a vow to be a haven of support. The safety pins says to me,
  • The bridge connecting us to another is not destroyed. It remains in its brokenness and is strengthened by each of us who chooses compassion, acceptance, and love.
  • Deep conversation is necessary. First, listen without judgment, without defending the self. Listen with compassion as you enter into deep, open conversations.
  • Each of us in community have a responsibility to cause no harm and with respect, protect others from harm. 

I feel questions emanating from the safety pin. It asks, “How courageous are you? How curious, how daring are you in the face of adversity, suspicion, and mistrust?” It asks, “Do you have the courage and curious daring to weave my message into your actions? How does the meaning behind the wearing of the safety pin, change the message that is your life?”

A safety pin, a simple metal object meant to hold things together, to protect. What is your intent when you fix the pin to your clothing? 

Do you have the curious daring and courage to bring your intent to your actions? I hope I do.

Vanessa

Vanessa F. Hurst is Compassion Officer at Intent & Action.  She is a Mindful Coach, Compassion Consultant, Professional Speaker, and Author who interweaves her inner wisdom in all she touches. Contact Vanessa



More from Vanessa: www.intentandaction.com

No comments:

Post a Comment