Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Your Life, Your Message

Nonviolence, the last of my 4nons, is perhaps the trickiest of all to navigate.  In the stance of the objective observer we notice when we are clinging to or pushing away from a person, an idea, or an thing. We identify our judgments and defensive posturing by listening to our internal monologue.  We curb our attachments, do not react judgmentally, and no longer defend our positions. But how objective are we about the subtle ways we react violently?

In practicing the first 3nons, we may say, “I no longer say nasty things; I do not act violently toward another.”  While we may not be overtly violent, our tendencies to hurt and harm may have burrowed deeply into who we are and manifest in ways we do not recognize as violent.   By listening to our internal monologue, we may discover a repeated script that has desensitized us to its our inherent violence. 

The violence in our words and actions begin as seeds of fear in our thoughts.  Telling our self that we are stupid or critiquing the actions of another or even saying that we are right or our way is the only way are all laced with violence.  Even if we never act upon our thoughts, we are fertilizing our violent tendencies. 

I continue to be amazed by the non-violent model of Mahatma Gandhi who reminded us, “We may never be strong enough to be entirely nonviolent in thought, word and deed. But we must keep nonviolence as our goal and make strong progress towards it.”   Re-scripting our internal monologue is the way of strong progress.

As I reflect upon this quote, I know that there is hope for me.  When I recognize the violence and rescript my thoughts and beliefs, I am a presence of peace instead a perpetrator of aggressive and passive violence.  Even if I am a presence of peace for only a moment, then that is enough.  Shifting my way of being in that moment creates  peace that moves from me spiraling into the world.

I may never be a nonviolent messenger like Gandhi, but I can be the nonviolent force that I am meant to be.  My life will be my message (Gandhi.)

Living the message while listening to the message of others,

Vanessa

Vanessa is an Intuitive, Community Builder, and Compassionista, and Author of Engaging Compassion Through Intent & Action


www.intentandaction.com

No comments:

Post a Comment