Thursday, January 28, 2016

Why Non?

For the past 18 months or so, I have been sharing the 4Nons.  Not until last Sunday did I realize that, for some, the 4Nons were negative.  So, why the 4Nons?

I have always been intrigued by the concept of non-attachment.  It was easy to understand what being attached meant and how detached was the opposite.  Non-attachment was an opportunity to be with all the stuff in my life in a different way.  I could be an objective observer.  Not attached, not detached — just aware and noticing.

For me, the same is true of the other 3Nons.  Non-judgment requires that I am aware of my judgments while not reacting from my assumptions and judgments.  Instead, of reacting from my judgments, I respond from my compassionate heart.

Even when I am non-defensive, my mind might still run amuck with a thousand reasons justifying why I did something and why those actions were okay.  Being non-defensive asks me to access how my behavior is loving, gentle, and kind without defending my actions. Again, I am called to respond from a compassionate heart instead of reacting from fear.

Our internal monologue may not be rampant with violent thoughts, yet non-violence asks that we be aware of anything that remotely holds a kernel of violence.  With this awareness, we reframe any thoughts that hold the energy of violence and re-script them in ways that make our words and actions vehicles of peace.

So, the 4Nons are not meant to be negative; they do not focus on “what not to do.”  Rather, the 4Nons guide us to rise above our fears, our illusions, and the mundane while living extraordinarily.

Being an Objective Observer,

Vanessa

Vanessa is a Intuitive Healer, Community Builder, and Compassionista, and Author of Engaging Compassion Through Intent & Action


No comments:

Post a Comment