Thursday, July 30, 2015

Making a Difference by Beginning Differently

Hitting the snooze button once, twice — oh my!  Will I ever manage to get out of bed?  Just how late will I be?  Usually when I start my day like this, I spend the rest of my time playing catch up. And, I don’t want to even think about how I handle those blips in the day.

What if the day began differently?  Instead of hitting the snooze button or during those precious minutes between alarms, I began to intentionally breathe into the day.  What if each breath I took was filled with the light and grace of compassion?

Try beginning you day with a simple practice: Lie in bed, sit, or stand…the posture isn’t as important as the experience.  Focus on the in and out of your breathing.  As you inhale, visualize that you are filling your personal bubble with air.  It inflates a bit more with each inhale.

Visualize compassion rushing into the bubble with each breath.  This compassion-filled energy gently blows on the ember of your compassionate essence.  Feel the warmth permeate and energize your permeable bubble.  Become an invitation to share and receive compassion. Intend that any hurt or harm or suffering that comes your way during the day is transmuted into love and compassionately returned to the other.
Now stand.  Allow your body to loosen, arms at your sides, palms facing back.  Inhale as you bring your arms level to your shoulders.  As your arms move upward, affirm, “I draw from the earth.”  When your arms have reached shoulder level, lock your elbows into a 90 degree angle.
Begin the exhale: palms facing outward, gently push your arms to straighten while affirming: “I give to all of creation.”  Arms will be straight, palm facing down.

On the inhale: allow your hands to move gentle upward over your head, finger tips pointing up, palms facing each other. Affirm, “I receive my inspiration from above.”

As you exhale: allow your hands to glide back into the resting position at your sides.
This is a simple way of setting your intent that takes less than five minutes each morning but can make all the difference to your day.

Making a difference one compassionate act at a time,

Vanessa

www.intentandaction.com

No comments:

Post a Comment