Tuesday, December 28, 2021

A Tale of Tattered Edges


In the quiet of the moment, in the stillness of the night, I hear the determined uttering of calm in a chaotic me.

Yeah, you heard/read that right — chaotic me. I bet you thought I was going to say chaotic world. I thought about it. Then I realized the chaos of the world wouldn’t impact me so much if I was calm at my core.


The eye of a hurricane. That is what the core is. I wish to be within the calmness of the core as the storm rages around. I realize that as the storm encroaches my core, the edges get a bit tattered. That is inevitable. But, when my spiritual core is strong, I notice the tattering before it destroys too much of my core. With that noticing, I turn within.  Awareness, I listen to rustling of calm. 


Let’s talk first about how to cultivate calm. Within each of use is a kernel of calm, a sacred spark that ignites our awareness and awakens our objective observer. While our objective observer is always present, It take time and lots of effort to cultivate a connection to the calm — the power behind our awareness. It takes awareness to minimize the impact of irritation, aggravation, fear, and anger — the winds of storm that batter the edges of our core. 


So, how do we mitigate the effects of the storm’s ravaging to move into stronger connection to our core? How do we cultivate calm? It is all about being awaken and aware. Until we consciously attend to the world around us, we miss what we judge as good, bad, and indifferent. With awareness we move away from the labels into understanding how these emotions and situations trigger feelings in us. 


My goal, one day, is to be so awake, so aware that I live totally in the rolling moments. That I do not hold on to past hurts or am poised to leap into a hoped for future. To be here now and respond in ways that recognize the beauty in me. And the recognition powers the connection to my core. 


And, the really cool thing? Through my core, I connect to the sacred, others, and all of creation. Through my core I am part of the Great All. Within my core beats the courage to venture into the brewing storm knowing that it can only superficially touch me. The core affirms that I am invincibly calm and prepared to respond to whatever life presents. 


Cultivating calm isn’t easy. In fact, it is really hard. Cultivating calm is a moment-by-moment, lifelong endeavor. It requires that we attend to what is happening in the world and what is happening in our self. Bi-listening you are fully engaged internally and externally.  I would even say that when you are bi-listening you have mastered the art of bilocation!


The key to cultivating calm and strengthening your connection to the core is living in the moment. Not holding on. Not pushing away. Acknowledging not absorbing distractions. Not acting out of judgment. Being nonviolent. Being in the determined calm is attending to who you are moment by moment. 


In the storm-filled tattered edges, I wish you moments of determined calm.  


Van Hurst, ms, is an intuitive-coach-catalyst. As a contemplative coach, she uses mindfulness practices and intuition tools to create strategies for navigating those places may scare us. The result of time with Van? Creating a blueprint for your life through a deeper connection to your intuition and contemplative nature. 

Van is a professional speaker & author who weaves inner wisdom into all she touches. Her books are available @ www.wildefyrpress.com. Her most recent book, As Natural As Breathing: Being Intuitive, is available on Amazon. Contact Vanessa for life coaching, intuitive consultations, keynotes, and programs.


Website / LinkedIn Profile / Facebook / Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2021 /   

No comments:

Post a Comment