Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Don’t Cling So Tight (The Art of Letting Go)

I grew up in an era where the phrase “let go, let god,” was the way to connect with the Sacred. Seldom did I experience what I thought was letting go: a total fall into the arms of the Sacred. I wondered what was the matter with me until I understood it wasn’t me — it was my interpretation of those four words.

For some time I have grown more and more tangled in a situation. No matter how much I tried to let go, I found myself more tangled. The tightening bands of attachment cut deeper and deeper into my spirit. I despaired that I would ever be able to let go. Taking a step back from this experience, I recognized that I was clinging too tightly. 

After a particularly bad moment that resulted from clinging to what I could not change, I finally had the talk with myself. I could not continue on the path I was on. I knew that I needed to take two steps back from the situation that had me so tightly tied in knots. I needed to be objective about the experience before I could find a way to slip from the knots that bound me. 

The stepping back began with reflection. I objectively reflected upon what triggered my clinging. Then through introspection, I gained an understanding of why I was clinging so tightly. What followed the identification and understanding of what was triggering my clinging was the difficult part — paying attention to how I was getting hooked over and over again. I used the power of my breath to flow through my addiction-like tendency to get trapped by the tightening knots. Through my breath I discovered in real time how and why I was being caught.

This was not easy. As I reflect upon the past several weeks, I see that things have lightened — knots have loosened. Instead of my frustration morphing into anger, I now identify the frustration at the root of my clinging. It doesn’t have anything to do with another; it has everything to do with my reaction to the situation. So, I ask myself, “What you can do in the moment to alleviate your frustration?” I listen to the answer wafting from my intuition. Then, I act upon it. Any potential reaction is neutralized. The energy of letting go powers my response.

Slowly by slowly the grip of my clinging has lessened in this situation. I have discovered that letting go is less about flinging myself into an abyss and trusting that I will fly and more about leaning into my awareness with courage, trust, and resolve. When I lean into awareness, I catch the thermal of letting go and ride it on sacred wings.  


Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is an Intuitive, Coach, Catalyst, who uses mindfulness practices and intuition tools to create strategies for personal and relationship transformation. She is a professional speaker & author who weaves inner wisdom into all she touches. Her books are available @ www.wildefyrpress.com. Contact Vanessa  (vanessa@intentandaction.com) for life coaching, intuitive consultations, keynotes, and programs.

Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2020

No comments:

Post a Comment