Tuesday, July 21, 2020

A Living, Breathing Gratitude Journal

Wisdom often comes from the least expected sources. As an example: a coworker shared her perception of a current situation with me. It wasn’t until after she left that I comprehended what she told me. She understood what she had, but there was little appreciation for it. That realization just made me sad. 

Instead of getting stuck in that sorrow for more than I moment or so, I engaged the reframe. (The power of the reframe is strong within me.) Instead of judging her, my internal voice asked me when I experienced what I perceived she was experiencing — when my understanding was disconnected from my appreciation. Or, what was present in my life that I understood but did not appreciate? 

As the memories slowly trickled in, I was humbled by many things that I take for granted. I recognized the number of seeds that my lack of gratitude planted in the ground of my being. I asked myself, in this moment, how I could shift to a place of gratitude? This shift requires an ongoing commitment to the bridge between my understanding and appreciation. 

My biggest takeaway from all of this? Not to take anything for granted. There is no understanding and moving on without gratitude. Even if I only spend a brief moment acknowledging my gratitude and feeling it course through my being, that is enough. It is not the duration of the gratitude that matters, it is the act of gratitude itself.

When we commit to this way of being, we do not keep a gratitude journal, we become a gratitude journal. How do we do this? Here are some simple tips:
    • Set your intent each morning to find those things of which you are grateful. 
    • When you come upon one, internally or externally, vocalize your appreciation. This might be a whisper in your mind or words uttered from your mouth or even a physical expression.
    • It is inevitable that you will miss an opportunity for gratitude. Whenever you recognize it, acknowledge what your appreciation in that moment in the most appropriate way. 
When we live in gratitude, we consciously and intentionally share its spirit with everyone we meet. In doing so, we become a beacon of unconditional love and support in an uncertain world.  

Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is an Intuitive, Coach, Catalyst, who uses mindfulness practices and intuition tools to create strategies for personal and relationship transformation. She is a professional speaker & author who weaves inner wisdom into all she touches. Her books are available @ www.wildefyrpress.com. Contact Vanessa  (vanessa@intentandaction.com) for life coaching, intuitive consultations, keynotes, and programs.

Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2020 

No comments:

Post a Comment