Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Compassion Asks, "Is it all in the presentation?"

The holidays were spent with two sets of grandparents whose lifestyles were very different. My father came from a relatively small, affluent family. His mother prepared food that was beautifully presented. The meals were epicurean delights. They tasted as good as they looked. My other grandma was the parent of eleven children. Her meals were hearty and homespun; meant to fill you up.

Both created memorable holiday feasts. Each meal was thoughtfully prepared. While the presentation was different, the same essence resonated within. The food was prepared and served with joy, love, and gratitude. 

Have you every found yourself yearning for something to look a certain way only to be disappointed in how it presents? And, I am not talking about food. I know that I have had visions about how something was supposed to look only to be disappointed. I wanted to leave the situation without a backward glance yet something called me back. “Take one more look,” it whispered. 

An amazing thing happens when we look beyond the surface to the very core of what we are given. As we peel back the layers, we find what is hidden at the core. Instead of being disappointed, I often find exactly what I need. At first glance that need might not be what I want. It may be a difficult challenge that I fear I will never meet. That’s where joy, love, and gratitude come in.

It’s the joy of knowing that I am strong enough to attempt to meet the challenge no matter how it is presented. Self love impels me to learn the lesson rooted in the challenge. And, gratitude I feel for the resources to try one more time. The true gift is realizing that I am not a failure if I attempt to meet the challenge. The knowledge that I will learn something is enough to nudge me into transformation. 

Life gives us many challenges. Some are wrapped beautifully. We yearn to tear the paper off and try that challenge on for size. Others we cringe when we see them. “Oh, not again,” we think. And, we strategize how to regift them to someone unaware. But, no matter what the wrapping, each challenge demands that it be owned no matter how it presents. In the owning we create a life well lived. 


Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is an Intuitive, Coach, Catalyst, who uses mindfulness practices and intuition tools to create strategies for personal and relationship transformation. She is a professional speaker & author who weaves inner wisdom into all she touches. Her books are available @ www.wildefyrpress.com. Contact Vanessa  (vanessa@intentandaction.com) for life coaching, intuitive consultations, keynotes, and programs.

Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2019

No comments:

Post a Comment