Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Compassion, Imperfection & Being Who We Truly Are

I awoke to the realization that I could navigate this crazy jumble of life. I could follow any tangle, slip through a knot, and be exactly where I needed to be. This realization took some getting used to as I often found myself not where I wanted to be but exactly where I needed to be. I chafed at my needs. Wondered why they couldn’t align with my wants.

The chafing caused friction. Soon sparks flew and my internal violence erupted into the external world. “Not again,” I thought as the world lit up with my reactions. Humbled I realized that I was not so different from those I had othered as a result of their harmful and hurtful behavior. I was a transgressor, too. 

I awoke to the knowing that I was as imperfect as others. And, I acknowledged that I did not fair so well in the uncertainty in the world. I wondered with more than a tinge of despair how I could learn to navigate the uncertainty without being triggered. How could I calm my internal life so that I did not explode outward? 

The answer to that question lays in a life long challenge. We have to be prepared for a detour or twelve on the journey of soul purpose. As we enter into the adventure of detour, we understand that a detour is not a path of avoidance. Rather, they force us to acknowledge our imperfections and learn from them. The detours are avenues of rescripting our life to reflect our best self. 

In doing so, our imperfections become less unwelcome strangers and more faithful friends. They tell us the cold, honest truth that we do not want to admit. We fear that truth will break us into a thousand shards of unquiet. In reality, the honesty is a wake up call for us to set aside who we do not want to be and become who we truly are. The honesty does not break us; it makes us stronger.

Imperfections cannot be ignored or wished away. In order to grow, we must acknowledge them, learn from them, and lovingly let them go. When used as tools, imperfections are impermanent means to live our soul purpose. When we no longer have need of them, they vanish — another knot loosened in the tangle of our life. 

What are your imperfections? How can they help you live an increasingly nonviolent life? That is to be found in the fashioning of your lived experience. (Want to learn more? Join us for Imperfect in an Uncertain World: Being Nonviolent. A four week course beginning January 2, 2019. For more information: (Tickets on sale December 9.)



Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is a Neural Synchrony™ facilitator, professional speaker, and author who weaves her inner wisdom into all she touches. Her books are A Constellation of Connections: Contemplative Relationships and Engaging Compassion Through Intent & Action. Vanessa assists clients in navigating their life paths with intuition. Contact Vanessa @ vanessa@intentandaction.com for keynotes, programs, and consultations.


Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2018

No comments:

Post a Comment