Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Lift the Weight of the World

Sometimes the suffering in the world overwhelms me. Being constantly bombarded by suffering — mine, yours, and the worlds erodes the interior place of peace and clarity. I find myself walking unsteadily on that fine line between disconnect and losing myself in the suffering. In empathy overload I cannot see through my angst to compassion’s essence. 

How can we maintain our core while being a beacon of compassion in the world? I can tell you the mechanics of moving from affective empathy to cognitive empathy to compassion, but of late I am unsure how to put the process into practice. I am aware of the times that the weight of suffering tips me into a place so dark that I cannot see even a flicker of compassion’s light. 

It is a challenge to do what I know what I must do. For filled with the angst of suffering, I have only one option. Finding a quiet space, I rest in the dark. I feel its velvet caress and its sharp jabbing edges. I identify the sores rubbed raw by suffering. I feel the muscles strained by holding myself erect during the buffeting onslaught. 

No longer in denial, I feel suffering but do not cling to it. I do not judge myself or another for the suffering. I do not defend my inability to be compassion’s presence. I accept my humanness as I wait for peace to rise within me. As it rises, I do not grasp at it, but allow its silk to swirl around me.

I wait within the dark knowing that eventually something mystical, something magical, is happening. Compassion arises not with fanfare, but as a gentle breeze. What begins as a whisper grows in volume — the voice of ethereal compassion sings a song of healing. The sparks of hope ignite within me.

While I have no conscious clue of how to navigate this dark night, I trust that the song and the sparks will lead me step by step out of this dark chamber. As compassion’s song reaches crescendo, the agony echoes of suffering fade away. And, I realize it is the little things that each of us do that increases the light and chases the dark into the shadows. When we combine the little things, we have a powerful force of compassion that cannot be denied.  
Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is a Neural Synchrony™ facilitator, Professional Speaker, and Author who weaves her inner wisdom into all she touches. Vanessa assists clients in navigating their life paths with intuition. Her books are A Constellation of Connections: Contemplative Relationships and Engaging Compassion Through Intent & Action. Contact Vanessa @ vanessa@intentandaction.com for keynotes, programs, and consultations.


Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2018

No comments:

Post a Comment