Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Into the Wild: Diversity & Ecology of the Spirit

The woods behind my home is mostly green with intermittent swatches of brown. Yesterday as the storm approached, I looked outside my window to see the trees waving at me. As the trees bowed, I spied a face deeply gnarled into one tree’s truck. Eye to eye, I connected to the soul essence of Tree. Through our connection I resonated with the network of Nature Herself as Tree whispered to me, “We can withstand much, but not too much.” 

Tree and I were in communion during that storm. During this wordless connection, Tree said, “It’s going to rain. I may lose a few leaves, maybe a spindly branch or two, but I am going to drink the refreshing water pouring down on me.” 

Ecology of the land. Ecology of my spirit. They are entwined. I cannot extricate myself from the rhythm of connection in nature. And, I wonder how can we learn the lesson of nature’s ecology? How can we, as human’s, create a system that is ever expanding and inclusive? How can we celebrate diversity instead of shutting our self away? How can we stop stifling life energy that on the surface doesn’t seem to resonate with ours when in reality that life energy is inexplicably twined with ours? 

It is not only my friend Tree that speaks in communion. The ecology of the wooded area resonates to me, heart to heart, soul to soul. I am reminded that we cannot live in isolation. If we learn nothing from nature, we recognize that its Wild has a subtle way of encroaching upon so called civilization. And the Wild creates a beauty that cannot be found in neatly manicured lawns and boxes of perennials. The wild is a mosaic of colors and textures and smells that invite us to be our true self.

It is clear to me that to live as an homogeneous society is to stifle our creativity and deplete our possibilities as both individuals and as a collective. In this environment our knowledge is severely limited and so is our understanding. We lack the basis for critical thinking and the ability to act wisely. In this space the powers-that-be decide we cannot think for our self and purge anything that does not fall within the parameters of an increasingly narrow box of control.

I cannot live in a box where the spindly plants that manage to grow toward the sun are burnt by an overabundance of compost. I yearn to live with Tree and the diversity that thrives in the Wild. For there, natural compost works itself into the fertile ground that is shared by all. The water isn’t collected and meted out. It falls from the sky and all those in the Wild drink freely. 

The course is clear: Leap outside of the box lest you be burnt by the compost and become stunted, unable to grow into your true self. Breathe in courage. Grasp the rim of the box. With curious daring, vault into the Wild. For the Wild isn’t a fearful place. It is a place where the ecology of blooming diversity resonates with the ecology of our spirit. In the Wild we resonate with our true self. 


Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is a Neural Synchrony™ facilitator, Professional Speaker, and Author who weaves her inner wisdom into all she touches. Vanessa assists clients in navigating their life paths with intuition. Her books are A Constellation of Connections: Contemplative Relationships and Engaging Compassion Through Intent & Action. Contact Vanessa @ vanessa@intentandaction.com for keynotes, programs, and consultations.


Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2018

No comments:

Post a Comment