Wednesday, September 14, 2016

The Face Of Compassion

If you could draw the face of compassion, how would it look? Would it be warm and grateful? Sharp and needy? Something else? I discovered the face of compassion in the act of an intimate stranger on an early September morning.

Walking to my car, I found myself enjoying the cooler temperatures that predawn autumn morning. But, cooler temperatures also bring things that are not so enjoyable. Driving to Tai Chi in those early hours, I heard the dreaded ping and saw the low pressure tire icon appear on my dashboard. I knew that there was no time to fill the tires prior to teaching Tai Chi. I trusted that the time between the end of class and next meeting would be sufficient to remedy the problem. 

Immediately after class, I stopped at the closest gas station. Of course, someone was already using the air station. I began focusing on my breath while chanting the mantra, “time enough.” After the gentleman in the SUV left, a man on a bicycle filled his tires with air. 

“Finally, my turn,” I thought as I rolled my car to a stop. Instead of relinquishing the hose, the man with the bike began to fill my tires with air. 

“This air is too expensive to waste,” he told me as filled the first tire. (The price for five minutes of air was $1.50.) We worked together as I removed the caps, and he filled the tires. We finished in what seemed like record time. 

I ask, “Can I give you something for your help?”

He replied, “No, I was just glad to help.” I was humbled. He looked like someone who had not had an easy life. Someone who needed a helping hand himself.

So, I asked, “Do you hug?” And, for a brief moment worried that my words had overstepped some societal boundary. 

“Of course,” he said. 

And, he hugged me with one of those heartfelt hugs that say “Thank you for seeing me. I see you.” The world seemed a little less lonely.

“May you find many blessings in your day,” I said. 

With a hitch in his voice, he said, “I need that.” He hugged me tighter. 

We parted. I went to what I thought would be a difficult meeting. It was not, due to, I believe, the compassionate act of an intimate stranger.

I often talk about the intimate stranger. Someone we may never see again, but who touches our body, mind, spirit, and heart in loving, gentle, compassionate ways. I hope that I touched him as he touched me. My heart strings twined with those of his as we became part of the great weave of community. I recognized anew that we have many opportunities to walk in intimate connection. We have only to open our eyes and respond. 


Connie and Tom, I had one of those experience you have shared. And, it was life altering. I left that gas station parking lot knowing that I was not alone; that compassion flows when we need it. 

Twining with you and you with me,

Vanessa


Vanessa F. Hurst is Compassion Officer at Intent & Action.  She is an Intuitive Coach, Community Builder, and Author of Engaging Compassion Through Intent & Action.

More from Vanessa: www.intentandaction.com

No comments:

Post a Comment