Friday, October 31, 2014

Two Sides? Or, More?

Yesterday I grabbed a fist full of quarters to feed a downtown parking meter.  Several quarters slipped from my clenched hand and fell to the floor.  As I looked at the dropped coins, I noticed that more than two images were represented by the fallen quarters.  Two sides to a quarter morphed into the adage “there are two sides to every story.”

Hmmm. If there are more sides to a quarter than two, is the adage really true?  With a chuckle, I retorted, “no there aren’t two sides….every story is multifaceted. The number of sides depends upon the number of people or groups perceiving the happening.”

In my lifetime quarters have had the potential to have 59 side images represented.   Although one of those sides is the static picture of George Washington, the image on the other side can manifest in 58 different ways.  No matter what the image is on the other side, a quarter is still worth twenty-five cents. 

I ponder at this moment in time about that quarter and how it reminds me of how each of us experiences the world in different ways.  Although my reality is my own it is not necessarily the reality of others.  And, this isn’t a bad thing.  We are a creative lot. Diversity of perception gives birth to opportunity and success.  Each of us is striving to live an authentic, accurate, true life story. This is told through our reality. When we accept the realities of others, we take the first step to gaining common ground.  In this place of acceptance, our common ground, no matter what we perceive as real, profound things happen. We collectively transform the world.

My intent for this day? Well, when I begin to judge or deem my way the best or only way, I am going to return to those quarters and remind myself that reality is comprised not only of what I believe but the multi-faceted, multi-hued offerings of what others perceive.  Transformation is possible only when we open our eyes and accept those around us.


What do you intend today?

Peace & Joy, 

Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment