Thursday, October 23, 2014

Trusting there is another way…

During the month of October I have been presenting a 4-part program on the insights of Thomas Merton and Rachel Carson.   As I prepared and presented the information, I found myself fluctuating between the despair caused by what we as humans have perpetrated and the hope that we have learned enough individually and collectively to go forward in less harmful, hurtful ways.

But, how do we begin this transformation from harming to healing?  The first step on this path is to admit the harm that we, individually and collectively, have perpetrated.  Peering deeply into the murky fog of illusion, we name our tendencies to be hurtful and times we have been catalysts of harm.  This reflection is not a form of self-castigation; rather, it is a way of recognizing our triggers and deep fears that lie at the root of our harmful behavior.

This reflection invites us into an “aha” moment.  During this mini-epiphany, we discover the emotion behind our trigger of hurt.  Maybe this catalyst is fear or the uncertainty of not meeting the perceived standards of another.  As I become aware of that part of myself that is hurt and wants to lash out, I know have the power of choice.  I can choose to let my hurt fuel my words, thoughts, and actions; or I can choose to shower my hurt with love.  As my hurt heals through self-love, the potential for harm manifests into an abundance of love.  I respond to others with this abundance of love.

Is this shift from harming to healing easy?  No.  Is it necessary?  Yes.  When we vow to cause no harm, we agree to get in touch with who we are at the ground of our being.  We agree to love who we are including the scars and the sore spots.  Through this self-acceptance, we forge the path of accepting others.


In this shift from harming to healing I find the trail of despair has ended and path hope welcomes me in.

Peace & All Good, Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment