Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Welcoming The Intimate Stranger

Walking through the park I basked in cool breeze puffs and warm sun caresses. Enjoying the bits of budding green, I walk round and round the path. As I crossed the bridges, I looked for life in the creek. I peered into the sky and trees to view the newly migrated birds. Nature enjoyed in ways possible only after a harsh, colder winter.

As I meandered down the path, I also people watched. My walk would not have the same feel, the same energy, if it were not for my fellow sojourners. With these strangers I form community if only for a brief moment. And, with these intimate strangers, I experience and share the joy of being in the beauty of Spring unfolding. Although I walk alone in the wetlands, I am part of a greater community of walkers sharing in the beauty of an early Spring day.

Engaging my fellow travelers while maintaining respectful boundaries can be a daunting, tricky task. I pay particular attention to the body language of my fellow walkers. When I look at the other, I notice the tilt of their head. If our eyes meet, I smile, say hello, or even offer a smidgen conversation. Or, perhaps they initiate first contact. How wonderful these moment when our eyes meet and words flow! Our interactions, through brief, are tinged with the joy and the happiness of being in the beauty of nature.

Reaching out to the unknown person, the intimate stranger, often radically changes my day. With that interaction, the person becomes more real to me. More than a stranger…they become part of my circle of being. I no longer feel so alone, and solutions to what I believe is impossible may manifest. This happens because either I reached out to another or I responded to the other as they reached out to me.

Moving from stranger to fellow sojourners invites us into a closer, more intimate connection. Although this contact happens in the blink of an eye, it may stimulate a radically shift in our life. We open our self to a world made new all because we took a chance to reach out to a stranger and share words of joyful greeting.

Peace, Vanessa

www.healingwillow.com


Who will you invite into your circle of being?

No comments:

Post a Comment