Tuesday, January 25, 2022

whenever wherever however: thank you


Gratefulness is seeded in our awareness. Blossoms from intention. Is revealed during reframing. Gratefulness shows up when least expected.

The pure joy of gratitude blossoms without conscious thought or action. Often, I am not sure what seeded this sudden joy-filled thanksgiving. It seems to magically appear…but really it does not. The gratitude blossoming in our interior garden is a result of awareness. 


Gratitude is a celebration. During it, I recognize that my life is beyond blessed by people who show up — my son, furry companions, family, friends, colleagues, and the intimate stranger. It is sparked by the beauty of a sunrise or the playful antics of squirrels. When I focus on the beauty of what is right, the world becomes magically extraordinary.


When I am aware, the effervescence of gratitude shows up everywhere. I pass through a mundane existence into mystery. In this place of magical extraordinary, I am grateful for everything…even what isn’t particularly warm and fuzzy.

At other times, gratitude is elusive. It is easier to focus on what I do not have or what I do not want — the sorrows, the grief, the wants or needs that go unmet. For me, that is when the power of the reframe comes in. 


Through the eyes of my heart and with the wisdom of my soul, I can reframe the thorn on life’s stem. I can move past that pointy thing to see the blossom at the end of the stalk. Through this change in perspective, I see the necessity of the thorn and the blossom. It is in that reframe that gratitude blooms.


For me being grateful is a cultivated way of life. It’s having a heart wide open to possibility. Benedict of Nursia, in his little rule, reminds us to listen with the ear of our heart. For me, listening with my heart is key to recognizing gratitude. My recognition of gratitude is complete when I respond from the wisdom of my soul.


Of course, it is easier to be grateful when life is smooth, calm, easy — to revel in moments of simple joy. But life is not always smooth or calm or easy. Life is uncertain, complicated, messy, and tangled. Even those circumstances are something to be grateful for. I mean, who wants to live without any upheaval? Okay, maybe sometimes that would be nice. 


Then I remember that the upheaval gives us opportunity to flex our gratitude muscle. When I am mindful, I see the tangles more objectively. When I peer closely, the reasons to be grateful sparkle on the tangles. In fact, those sparkles guide me to untangling my life. In the untwining I find a bouquet of blessing with or without the tangles. 


Gratefulness, for me, is found in the reframe. Within a change of perspective, I find the rolling sparkle-seeds of thankfulness. For that discovery to happen, I must be in the moment aware of whatever is percolating; whatever trigger is waiting to be flipped. 


Gratefulness means showing up in those moments when I am not perfect and appreciating the thorns of my imperfections. What is gratefulness for you? 



Van Hurst, ms, is an intuitive-coach-catalyst. As a contemplative coach, she uses mindfulness practices and intuition tools to create strategies for navigating those places may scare us. The result of time with Van? Creating a blueprint for your life through a deeper connection to your intuition and contemplative nature. 

Van is a professional speaker & author who weaves inner wisdom into all she touches. Her books are available @ www.wildefyrpress.com. Her most recent book, As Natural As Breathing: Being Intuitive, is available on Amazon. Contact Vanessa for life coaching, intuitive consultations, keynotes, and programs.


Website / LinkedIn Profile / Facebook / Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2022

1 comment: