Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Of Rain and Veils


It’s raining big fat splats waking me from my slumber. Even Einstein, who never ventures into my darkened room, stalks in. He loudly purrs before laying with me quietly for less than a minute. Then with a loud squawk-bark he jumps off my bed. Perhaps those moments with me provides reassurance that the storm is happening out there and that he is not alone.

It’s raining. In those predawn moments I listen to the splattering, hear the rumble of thunder edging ever closer, wait for the lightning that never comes. I am soothed not into a slumber but into the day. 


The rain is invitation — welcome noise that heralds a new day and ushers in a new week of opportunity. It’s raining potential. In each splat I am encouraged to try yet again to be myself in an uncertain world.


Being our self, no matter where we find our self, is all each of us can do. We wake each morning to a newness, a welcoming, an anticipation. I am reminded of the words of Black Elk: behold this day, it is yours to make. Perhaps that is what the gentle rumble of thunder, the pattering of rain tells me. 


In this moment I feel the slide from the cusp of what might be into the space of what really is. I am reminded that we are days away from Samhain. The veil is thin. I feel the more of everything. The veil thins and I recognize two storms: the one that rages outside my window and the one that rages within.  


I recognize that like the rain, the veil is just not external.  While it serves as a barrier between me and the external unseen, the veil is a permeable membrane between my conscious being and the part of me that is connected to the sacred. I feel the sacred breath, ruah, blowing gently on the veil igniting the spark within. The spark illuminates my strand in the woven braid of life. 


Perhaps this time of year invites us to sync our breath with the sacred; to twine with the sacred, to ignite the spark within. We connect during the thinning veil to understand our self. We also connect so that when the veil begins to thicken, our braid is durable enough, strong enough, aware enough to withstand the thickening barrier. With a durable connection we see through the veil to hear the call to dance upon the braid of life.


As the veil thickens, we continue to connect strand by strand by staying conscious, being intentional, mindfully attending to our divine spark. To flourish in uncertainty is to be connected to the sacred no matter what storm we find in our life.


It’s raining. On this day, I have no idea what will be revealed in the outer and inner worlds. I have no idea what the storm is telling me or what the thinning veil will reveal. I just know that each raindrop that splatters upon my soul wakes me. Each raindrop uncovers the potential of what I might be.


It’s raining a fall rain reminding me that the veil within is thinning, too. It urges me to breathe deeply of ruah…that which connects me to all through the sacred strands.. What is it telling you? 


 

Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is an intuitive-coach-catalyst. As a contemplative coach, she uses mindfulness practices and intuition tools to create strategies for navigating those places may scare us or bring us joy. The result of time with Van? Creating a blueprint for your life through a deeper connection to your intuition and contemplative nature. She is a professional speaker & author who weaves inner wisdom into all she touches. Her books are available @ www.wildefyrpress.com. Her most recent book, As Natural As Breathing: Being Intuitive, is available on Amazon. Contact Vanessa for coaching, intuitive consultations, keynotes, and programs.


Website / LinkedIn Profile / Facebook / Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2021

No comments:

Post a Comment