Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Take a Chance

In a fragile moment, the world shifted. Nothing is as it was. For sure, it is tough, frightening time. The ground has shifted giving way to a cavernous sinkhole. We are unsure if it will continue to grow or even what lurks in its depths. We can skirt around the sinkhole ignoring what hides within, or we can call upon the courage to listen to the whispers floating from the cracks and crevices.

What if these uncertain and scary moments are a call to take a chance? What if we take that chance? Now, I am not talking about leaping before you look or doing something equally dangerous. I am suggesting you ask yourself what you’ve always wanted to do. Find something that has you stepping just a bit outside your comfort zone. Sit with feet dangled over the edge or peer over the ledge of your chasm. Discover the chance and take it!

Here is the chance I have taken: I come from a family of visual artists — cousins, a sister, nieces, nephews, even my son. I never saw myself as an artist, but I have always been drawn to watercolor. I have the paints, the  paper, the brushes, yet I was unable to create. Holding a brush my hands felt fumbly. 

Then covid-19 happened. My Tai Chi classes were canceled. This gave me an extra four hours a week. A little voice inside whispered, “Take a chance.” So, I did. I began to paint. This time, I didn’t feel so fumbly. I ask a number of people if they would be my models. They all said yes. I began to paint aura portraits.

I took a chance and discovered that I was a visual artist. In order to take this chance I shifted my perception and judgment about my abilities. What did I gain? Confidence in my abilities to paint with water color and added trust in my intuition. I also gained another way, in addition to writing, to reduce stress and share myself with the world. Painting watercolor aura portraits is now another intuitive-coach-catalyst offering.

So, take a chance. Look deep into the sinkhole and ask yourself, “In this new world, what chance calls to me?” And, then do it. This isn’t about success or failure. What matters is that you take the chance and, in doing so, connect to the core of your being. Because really, what do you have to lose beside fear?  


Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is an Intuitive, Coach, Catalyst, who uses mindfulness practices and intuition tools to create strategies for personal and relationship transformation. She is a professional speaker & author who weaves inner wisdom into all she touches. Her books are available @ www.wildefyrpress.com. Contact Vanessa  (vanessa@intentandaction.com) for life coaching, intuitive consultations, keynotes, and programs.

Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2020

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Vanessa - what a lovely outcome of our coronavirus
    sinkhole for you. I had a cold, not the COVID19, but sick for
    2 1/2 weeks and certainly feel better now, and that isolation and
    doing nothing seemed fine.

    Your thoughts are inspiring and other writers I love are speaking
    of a transformation and so appropriate for this Easter Sunday.

    God's Peace and Love, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, it is terrific to hear from you on the cloudy Easter morn. I hope that you are robust and ready to meet the world in these uncertain times! Love, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete