Tuesday, February 18, 2020

From Discouragement to Hope

I am discouraged. Maybe you are, too. You might be  thinking I cannot read another depressing word. Before you stop reading this, give those words a change to echo in the cavern of your being. Locate where are you feeling despair. Listen to what arises out of discouraged. Befriend those feelings. For me, when I stop running and face my discouragement, something incredible happens. And, that is what this blog is about.

The echo of self discovery shakes loose all the gunk that keeps me stuck in a place of loss and hopelessness. In the stark reality, I am surrounded by truth and illusion with no where to run. So, I ask myself, “What is true? What is illusion?” Listening for the answer, I discern how each keeps me trapped in a place of despair. This is the beginning of the trek from being discouraged to finding hope.

I’ve studied the law of attraction; read about the prosperity gospel. I find myself stuck — if those are true, why isn’t there enough for everyone? And, if we do not help one another, aren’t we negating beliefs of prosperity and abundance? I’ve come to realize that the world is a whole lot wider and deeper than either philosophy. It is our right and privilege to live in that deep, wide world. 

The root of my present despair stems from why we make life so hard when it could be so simple? The quote, “Living simply so that others can live” (Gandhi) resonates within. I discover within those words less about a paradigm shift and more of a statement of long held beliefs. As I sit with my feelings, I recognize that my despair is a reaction to external events. I may not be able to change the externals, but I can shift from reaction to response. This shift opens the door to profound change. 

So, here I go. I cannot stop anyone from living their life philosophy. They cannot stop me from living mine. Both of us at sometime or another will surely try. Stepping away from desiring a world that is like us, we live our truth. In doing so, we are shining lights in an uncertain world. We might not be able to eradicate suffering, but we can be compassion’s grace and presence in a suffering world.

Maybe that is the lesson in the discouragement. It is not that I can save the world or even change the world or even shift the predicament I find myself in. No, the challenge is, despite the discouragement, to be compassion however, wherever, and whenever I am called. In doing so, my compassion triggers a shift from despair to hope in myself and others.   

Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is an Intuitive, Coach, Catalyst, who uses mindfulness practices and intuition tools to create strategies for personal and relationship transformation. She is a professional speaker & author who weaves inner wisdom into all she touches. Her books are available @ www.wildefyrpress.com. Contact Vanessa  (vanessa@intentandaction.com) for life coaching, intuitive consultations, keynotes, and programs.

Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2020

No comments:

Post a Comment