Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Growing the Real You...With Compost

Deep within us beats a heart yearning to grow our best self. With just the right amount of fertilizer, sunlight, and water, our stem explodes from the ground of our soul into the world. Even if we do not have the exact right ratio of nutrients, through the resilience of these plants called you and me a way is found to grow strong and true.. 

Our resilience is sustained through self compassion. This is not self-indulgence; rather, it is doing good for our self. Self compassion begins by noting where you suffer and how is has depleted your. Note where are you fatigued and what triggers your suffering. Your awareness provides clues to the roots of your suffering. 

Now, I am a big believer in using the compost of suffering to grow our best self. All can be used to help us grow stronger, more resilient. Suffering is a variety of life compost. Turning a smelly heap of suffering into usable compost requires reflection and introspection. Through discernment, we uncover the lesson-gifts within the suffering. 

You may be thinking, “No good has ever come of my suffering. I see no gift in my suffering.” 

I would say, “Look deeper. Let go of the grief. Open your eyes to what suffering is saying.”

Because, really, suffering always has a message. To say that it is there to teach us, to make us stronger is really too simplistic. We have to dig into the smelliness searching for message clues while being open to hearing the truth. Are you thinking this might be too much work? When you change your frame of reference and engage suffering mindfully, its message become clearer. This discovery is worthy time spent.

How do you dig through the compost of suffering? Here’s an example: I have been underemployed for seven years. I did not receive job offers for positions that I believed perfectly aligned with my skill set and life goals. I did receive a job offer for a position that I was not really qualified for and one at which I was not making a living wage. I took that job because it was my only option. 

There were parts of the job I loved and much that triggered suffering in me. I engaged in ongoing discernment about my suffering throughout my tenure at that job. What did I discover? From the compost my self worth has grown. I see the positives in my self and my limiting beliefs. I know that no matter where I am, I can have positive, measurable outcomes. 

I also learned more about social justice through this lived experience. I understand in a very different way the direct impact of economic injustice. This knowing has made me a better writer, program presenter, and advocate. Being underemployed could have created a spiral into deep despair. Instead of allowing despair to overwhelm me, I grew a stronger me. 

So, I ask you, “What have you learned from your suffering? How has it made you a better, more resilient person?” Share your answers in the comment section. Thank you!


Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is an Intuitive, Coach, Catalyst, who uses mindfulness practices and intuition tools to create strategies for personal and relationship transformation. She is a professional speaker & author who weaves inner wisdom into all she touches. Her books are available @ www.wildefyrpress.com. Contact Vanessa  (vanessa@intentandaction.com) for life coaching, intuitive consultations, keynotes, and programs.

Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2019

No comments:

Post a Comment