Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Bring Intent to Action: Hope, Courage, & Curious Daring


Outside my window is a squirrel leaping from barren branch to barren branch seemingly unfazed by the fact that the greenery is gone and winter is moments away. Exposed to the wintery elements, he springs from one limb to the next. I am amazed that he keeps his balance. For Squirrel, courage and curious daring are inherent in each movement. He lives within the possibilities of his world. 

Squirrel does not stop his playful exploration because the world is gray and the air is nippy. He scampers from tree to tree, rustles through the dry leaf carpet, and steadfastly climbs spindly tree trunks. He is the master of living in the moment whether that moment is one of abundance or adversity.  I wonder if he laughs at the antics of humans. 

I am curious — does he have an actual destination as he catapults from one branch to the next and then scampers down the side of a tree? I want to be a squirrel whisperer as he freezes silently on the ground while watching me with those serious brown eyes. Drawing ever closer to him, I imagine that he is discerning friend or foe. On those days that I can get to within a foot and a half of him without scaring him away, I know that I am in peace-filled balance. 

With a squirrel mind, I ponder the ups and downs of my life and those of others. I burrow beneath the crinkly leaf carpet of adversity to discover what is stopping me from being authentic. I feel the inspiration and freedom in each catapult and leap. I am filled with hope, courage, and curious daring for nothing is impossible in the simplicity of being.  

Coming back to human, I engender squirrel energy through hope, courage, and curious daring. In times that I cannot seem to muster hope, courage, or curious daring, I ask, “what is stopping you?” And, know that only I can answer why, at times, I do not have the hope that ignites the courage and curious daring that lays dormant in my heart.

I have come to realize that, for me, squirrel energy is all about hope — with hope our actions mirror those daring leaps from limb to limb. When we are disconnected from hope, we timidly cower under the crispy leaf carpet. Hope doesn’t create illusions, with hope we can boldly discard the illusion and stand within the power of our courage and curious daring.  

As we edge ever closer to the year’s end, I wish you the energy of Brother Squirrel: may you have the curious daring to leap, the courage to trust, and the hope to sustain your through the barren time.  


Vanessa F. Hurst, msis a Mindful Coach, Neural Synchrony™ facilitator, Professional Speaker, and Author who weaves her inner wisdom into all she touches. Vanessa offers Neural Synchrony™ sessions to assist clients in navigating their life paths with intuition. Her books are A Constellation of Connections: Contemplative Relationships and Engaging Compassion Through Intent & Action. Contact Vanessa @ vanessa@intentandaction.com for keynotes, programs, and consultations. 



Website / LinkedIn Profile / Facebook / Twitter: @fyrserpent / ©2017

No comments:

Post a Comment