Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Sow Love, Reap Compassion in the Ground of Being


The ground of our being is love. Thomas Merton has written about this time and time again. In moments of reflection, I wonder what I would find on an expedition into the ground of my being. Would I find love? Or, would I find something else?

Let’s take an adventure together. Me to the ground of my being and your to yours as we see, feel, hear — really experience — what we seeds we plant and what we harvest in the ground of our being. Each inhalation forges a path to the cores of our being. Exhaling we release the blocks, the barriers, whatever prevents us for from being the person we truly are.

Continue to breath as you get closer and closer to your ground. Notice how the landscape changes as you near your core. Perhaps you are deep in a seemingly impenetrable jungle, maybe an arid desert, or perhaps you find yourself in your backyard. Wherever you find yourself is the place between the illusion your present and your authentic self. Once you step into the ground of your being, just notice.

What did I discover? For a while I seemed to be struggling to make any headway through a dense forest. The underbrush scratched my legs. The gnats buzzed around my head. I found myself frustrated until a voice within reminded me, “these are your challenges.” And, I realized I needed to let go of my need to get where I was going. I needed to give up control. What I needed was to be in the moment and experience the journey. 

The brush didn’t immediately thin out nor did the gnats miraculously disappear. As I let go of control, my perception shifted. Peering into the underbrush, I saw berries clinging to spindly branches. Flowers unfurled. Instead of the annoying buzz of gnats, I heard a song urging me on through the challenges as I edged nearer to the ground of my being. With each breath I relaxed. I became more and more curious about what I was finding in the moment on my trek to the ground of my being.

Then I arrived. Stepping into the soil, I noticed that the ground was fertile in some places and barren in others. Fecund where I was in harmony with myself. Barren when I struggle to find my authentic self. And, I discovered piles and piles of compost created from challenges successfully met and life lessons learned.

After seeing and smelling that compost, I realized that I was not just a tourist in the ground of my being. I was the master gardener. So, I took another breath and looked at the beauty surrounding me. The vibrancy of colors, the sun of my spirit warming, nurturing, bringing me to life, the crystal clear water of my lake-soul invited me to step deeper into my authentic self. I surveyed the beauty that was truly me. Within the beauty, I discovered little illusions. I carefully removed any deadheads and weeds. 

With another breath, I gathered my tools of courage, and with curious daring ventured to a barren spot. Getting down on my knees, I plucked a plant or two that did not authentically represent me. I dug into the ground and worked in a bit of compost — new life into the tired, the depleted landscape. 

On my next breath came a bag of  seeds that I carefully dusted into the renewed soil. I intentionally covered them. I sprinkled water from the lake of my soul onto the seeds. Letting go of the illusion that I was a tourist who views the beauty in the garden, I became the master gardener who gives life to the ground of my being.  

Within this ground I found unconditional love — love of who I am authentically and love for the illusions that give me room to learn and grow. This is my ground. Mind. And, only I can cultivate it in the ways that grow love. In nurturing this love, I reaps the seeds of compassion that I can give to other master gardeners. Together we create a community garden of sown with love and giving us a harvest of compassion.


What does the ground of your being look like?  

Vanessa F. Hurst, ms, is a Mindful Coach, Compassion Consultant, Professional Speaker, and Author who weaves her inner wisdom into all she touches. Contact Vanessa @ hurst.vanessa@gmail.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment