Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Holding On, Letting Go: Relationship

vanessa f. hurst


“She has been my best friend since first grade.”

“We are celebrating 50 years of marriage.”

“I have worked for this organization for 10 years.”


Some relationships just work. There is an ease to the way that they connect. They withstand the growing pains, personal changes, and tests inherent in the relationship. The partners are able to move within the flow of change. Working together they create a beautiful grain within their relationship. Each plank fits seamlessly tongue to groove.

But, what happen when the joints of a relationship do not smoothly fit together? At times, our words and actions can sand the connections and retrofit them. Other times the connections are warped and the grain so uneven that there is no way to connect in the same way.

No matter how much we try, our authentic self never seems to fit in that relationship. If we do not allow the relationship to evolve, it may implode and the flying splinters lodge deeply into our hearts. If we do not remove the splinters, the wounds fester and our relationship drifts until the final implosion that severs our connection.

I have often been accused of staying in relationships helplessly looking all as the shrapnel lodges into my heart and the heart of my partners. That part of me that wants to get it right even if there is not a way to stay in the static relationships convinces me that the illusion I am living has the potential of sustainability. I fail to realize that as an illusion it is not grounded in reality.

Lately I have shifted my relationship paradigm:  relationships aren’t win or lose, success or failure.  Learning that I haven’t failed but can learn how not to be in relationship is an ongoing lesson for me. Each connection is a dynamic, compassion filled opportunity to transform in this laboratory called life. When I look at my relationships as opportunities to learn, my world shifts. Maybe I need to learn to love freer or not take another’s behavior so personally. Maybe I need to realize that I am okay as I am and that my authentic self really is enough. Each relationship has become an invitation to my transformation and to partner with the other in theirs.

When I shed those spots of doubt-inducing illusion, I pause to reflect. I ask myself, “What do I need in the relationship?” And, I answer honestly. Then, I intentionally listen to the other to figure out what they need. Finally, I ask myself, “What I am able to give and what I am willing to receive?”

After answering these questions comes the difficult part. I need to decide how to shift in the relationship. Maybe that life long friendship becomes an acquaintance-ship. Or, maybe I find another job. Perhaps, I search for a new social group. Or, I decide to spend time on my most important relationship — the one with myself. There are no right or wrong answers. There are only the answers we are feeling in the moment to be our truth.

We gather this information and make these decisions in dialogue with the other. In loving gentle ways we listen. We are both great people who are living loving, compassion filled lives. Sometimes we just get stuck in the lesson we are learning.

Accepting that life isn’t static provides the nudge for us to transform. Because the end result of this discernment is an alleviation of suffering and a relationship shift to either a deeper connection or a letting go.  Our goal is to live in a world of compassion without angst or harm.

Easy? No. Necessary? Yes. Through it all we love and live while growing our constellation of connections.

Vanessa

Vanessa F. Hurst is a Mindful Coach, Compassion Consultant, Professional Speaker, and Author who interweaves her inner wisdom in all she touches. Contact Vanessa



More from Vanessa: www.intentandaction.com

No comments:

Post a Comment