Wednesday, August 31, 2016

“I love you enough,” Compassion whispers.

“But, you are not helping!” I cry.

How many times have we silently or vocally uttered those words when someone was attempting to be compassionate? That compassion was seen as lacking. So mired in suffering, our wish was for someone to fix us, make our situation better, or just make the suffering go away.  Instead, we were left to learn the lesson that created our suffering. 

Over the past week I have had several opportunities to speak with others about compassion.  And, while “compassion is not a reward for good behavior” (Matthieu Ricard), it is not a get out of life lesson free card. Suffering brings opportunities for growth. It holds us gently in a palm of love and understanding. Compassion encourages us to find a way through our suffering. Walking this path through suffering is accomplished by learning our life lessons.

Compassion says, “I love you enough to listen to you, help you understand the resonance of compassion in your being, and guide you through your challenge.  I am a companion not a savior. I empower not create co-dependence.  I am a partner in the dance of your suffering.  When you are ready to give up, I am the encourager.”

“I love you enough,” sometimes translates into, “I do no know how to alleviate your suffering, but I will not diminish the reality of your anguish.  I will be with you in your time of need.  You are not alone. You are not crazy. The suffering you feel is really there.  I am with you.”

Through compassion’s eyes we begin to see a way to release the suffering and enter into a new way of being.  This way is not a lack of suffering, but a way paved with the richness gained by embracing suffering.  We become stronger for the journey.

“I love you enough,” says Compassion. “Even when you think I am not helping, I am.” 



Vanessa is Compassion Officer at Intent & Action.  She is an Intuitive Coach, Community Builder, and Author of Engaging Compassion Through Intent & Action.

More from Vanessa: www.intentandaction.com

No comments:

Post a Comment