Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Suffering: Knee Deep in the Compost

“Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional,” reminds me of a popular 80s slogan, “You can heal your life.”  The way that I interpret each leaves me unsettled.  What if suffering is not optional, and you cannot heal your life?  Does that mean when you are overwhelmed by suffering and unable to heal your self that you have failed? 

Maybe, like most things in life, it all comes down to semantics and meaning.  For me, suffering, while not permanent, is most certainly not optional.  Suffering offers a pathway to transformation.  When I consciously seek the catalysts of my suffering, I discover challenges that bring the greatest life lessons. 

With this realization come opportunities for transformation and the means to move from suffering to learning.  As I begin to learn, compassion flows; suffering alleviated. This life companion provides the compost for my life garden.  Without suffering I would not be able to rise to the heights and plunge to the depths of my soul.  The deep anguish I feel is not optional, but it is not permanent either. 

Each of us has many ideas of what healing is.  By definition, healing is a return to wholeness.  What if the “whole” doesn’t look like what we think it should?  What happens when we believe healing is only possible when we are restored to the original? (This is the definition of cure.)  “You can heal your life” may be setting us up for the suffering triggered by the belief of our failure. 

So, if we live by these slogans, we do not fully engage in the transformative power of life experience.  If suffering is optional, we risk casting aside the rich opportunities to grow and transform.  Without a true understanding of healing, we lack the potential to become whole in ways that do not restore us to the original.

Suffering is the catalyst that brings us through the tumult and urges us to return to whole.  Through suffering we fertilize the seeds that grow in the ground of our being and nurture our most authentic self.

Knee deep in the compost!

Vanessa

Vanessa is an Intuitive, Community Builder, and Compassionista, and Author of Engaging Compassion Through Intent & Action

No comments:

Post a Comment