Thursday, November 6, 2014

One Word, One Action Changes Every Thing

We all probably have a horror story or two about a call center experience.  So, imagine my surprise when I had not one, not two, not three, but four positive call center experiences in the span of about ten days.  As I hung up the phone after each call, I was filled with peace and calm.  The person’s stance at the other end of the phone conversation shifted my mood. The power we have to positively and negatively impact another’s day was evident to me.

My mind flashed to the faraway days of chain emails.  One of the emails shared told the story of a young man who had his arms filled with books as he left school.  Of course, as luck would have it, he dropped his books. They scattered. Another thoughtful student helped him pick up the books.  They discovered many commonalities as they chatted.  The second student invited the first home to play video games.  That was the beginning of a friendship that spanned their remaining high school days and beyond.

Graduation came and with it a confession from the first student.  On that day several years before, he had cleaned out his locker and was going home to commit suicide.  The student didn’t want his parents to have to clean out his locker. The words and actions of the second student brought hope to the first.  Both students lives were radically changed through the actions and words of compassion.

I cannot look at my interactions with others with indifference any more.  I no longer look at my words as casual banter or meaningless drivel.  My words give voice to my choice — I can soothe and bring joy or I can trigger a more negative reaction.  While I realize that it is not my responsibility as to how another reacts to my words, it is my responsibility to use words that soothe in compassion filled ways.


In this moment and in the moments that follow, notice the choices you make with each utterance.

Peace & Joy, Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment